Doctor Who Series 6 Finale Wallpaper (via BBC)
Oh, Doctor Who, you crazy, wonderful, awful, timey-wimey show. You’ve done it again–and yet, you’ve not done enough. You’ve tied up some loose ends that I really wanted tied up, but not necessarily in a satisfactory manner, and you’ve left questions unanswered. Though perhaps that was on purpose…is Moffat working for the Silence?
Let’s start with plot points that have been “resolved” (I use the term loosely.)
1. River Song’s timeline. Remember rule #1? “The Doctor lies.” Well, that rule applies to River, too. Apparently, according to Amy and River’s conversation at the end of “The Wedding of River Song,” River’s just a reeeeally good liar. She knew about the little girl in the spacesuit in Florida, meaning she knew that was her killing “the Doctor” at Lake Silencio. So her timeline’s not that screwed up; she had to keep her lips sealed for the sake of the universe. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey, foo. I’m content with this explanation.
2. If the Doctor dies, how can there be another season? Well, I was personally hoping for one of the flesh gangers, a time paradox duplicate, or one of those person/ships (I forget the name) from “Let’s Kill Hitler” to masquerade as the Doctor and help him cheat death. As soon as the captain of the robot ship asked the Doctor if there was anything they could do to help, I had my answer. The Doctor never died at the lake; he had his TARDIS on board that robot ship, and he beamed out while River killed him. I’d like to note this makes twice now he’s dodged dying at her hands. Could the third time be the charm for the Silence’s attempts at having River kill the Doctor?
3. The eye patches. Called it! They help you remember the Silence creatures. (What are those guys, really, species-wise?) They’re not mind-control devices, but they can be used to pretty much kill you when the Silence are done waiting for the Doctor to show up.
4. What is River to the Doctor? Now we have it confirmed: she’s his wife. Making Amy and Rory his in-laws. May much amusement ensue. 😀
5. What is the question that, when answered, will cause silence to fall? If the blue guy is to be believed, the question is “Doctor who?”
Despite these nicely tied plot threads, there are still some gaping holes in this thing.
1. Who is Madame Kovarian? They stole the eye patch design from her in the reality that never happened, but who is she? Why do the Silence need her? And where the heck is she?
2. Is River’s mind okay now? She could still be brainwashed. I guess we’ll just have to see.
3. When did the Doctor tell River his name? Or did he even have to? Maybe they have telepathy or something. We know from the Library arc that she knows his name, but now we may or may not know that at the wedding, the Doctor did not tell River his name like he said he did. Of course, the Doctor and River both lie, so there’s no guarantee that he did or did not tell River his name in that scene. What is the Doctor’s name, anyway? I’m fine with not knowing, but they’re building it up like it’s important.
4. How does this “silence will fall” bit even have to work? Will the Doctor be forced to reveal his name later on screen, out loud? Or is it just that the question needs to be answered in the right place and at the right time, regardless of the response, for silence to fall? So…confusing…and frankly, a little disappointing. I know “Doctor who?” is the single most obvious question in the entire history of the show, but really?
5. What are the creatures in suits? If the Silence is a religious organization that the headless monks are also part of, then who in time and space are the suited creatures that you can’t remember once you look away? They’re just a part of the order. What species are they?
Doctor Who Series 6 Silence Wallpaper (via BBC)
6. Do the Silence know the Doctor is alive? Maybe all of this was planned. They could certainly know and just be driving the Doctor to the point where the question has to be answered. Maybe “Doctor who?” isn’t the real question, but a planted one, designed to lure him out. It is supposed to be the “oldest question in the universe,” right? The Doctor is old, but not that old. Though if he’s a time traveler, he could have gone back to the beginning of the universe, causing that to be the first question asked…
7. How does River always get out of Stormcage? Not exactly that important, but I personally think that the robot ship police must run Stormcage Prison, which would account for how River gets to sneak out and not get punished. They know she didn’t really kill the Doctor. At least, not yet, right?
8. Why don’t people kill the Silence on sight anymore during the alternate reality? Why on earth would you just capture a bunch of them? You’re supposed to want to kill them! They’re much too clever to have just let themselves be rounded up like that. Perhaps the order the Doctor put into the moon landing video got reversed somehow?
9. Why don’t Amy and Rory know about the alternate reality until the point in time that we see them in “The Wedding of River Song”? Back at Lake Silencio, why didn’t they know? My only explanation is that it just hadn’t happened for them yet. Their timeline is in sync with the Doctor that went to 1969 with them, so the alternate reality couldn’t have happened for them until that version of the Doctor encountered it.
10. How is River “the child of the TARDIS”? What is she, really? Is she actually human? Are Amy and Rory really her parents? I’m reasonably certain they are, but in this mad universe of Doctor Who, anything is possible.
Last questions: when does the next season start? As far as finales go, this one was entertaining, but overall a little lackluster. It lacked…finality. Sure, the Doctor escapes death yet again, but to what end? And really, was it necessary to throw that Dalek in there? I thought there wouldn’t be even a single trace of a Dalek in this season.
My brain hurts a bit from thinking about this too much, so I think I’ll stop my speculating here. I’m sad this season’s over because it doesn’t feel done, but hey, at least there’s a Christmas special to look forward to.
Care to speculate with me? Comment away!