Yep, it’s official. For anyone hoping Moffat and the gang were still trolling about Amy and Rory leaving, it’s time to accept it. The Ponds are heading out, and Jenna-Louise Coleman will be the new companion. According to Moffat, she was perfect for the TARDIS because she makes the Doctor keep pace with her.
“It’s not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it’s about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that’s all you’re getting for now. Who she’s playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor’s standards, this isn’t your usual boy meets girl.”
So, she’s a pretty young woman. My first reaction: “Not another one!” Every companion has been different, to be sure, but I was really hoping for a guy to be the long-term companion this time. Or another older character, like Donna. Then I started reading some of the comments in this post on io9, and I found a bit of hope. Just because the actress herself is an attractive, young, human woman from our time period, that doesn’t mean her character will be. (Not that I’m opposed to the idea, but something new and different would be nice.) Suddenly, my brain is in full of fan speculation again.
Now that I’m excited about the newest companion, let’s do a little theorizing. Here are some possibilities for what kind of character she could be. Granted, all of these are either inspired by others’ speculation or coming straight from my brain, so they might be (read: are) ridiculous. In any case, feel free to add your own in the comments.
- What if she’s an alien? She could either just be one that looks human or have crazy makeup to turn her blue or something. She could even be another Time Lord! That could be awesome. A regenerated Jenny, or some other Time Lord that slipped through the cracks?
- She could be from the future. Maybe she’s from Jack’s time, and is looking for him. Or not looking for him, whatever. A companion from the future could have a fresh perspective on all the present-day Earth stuff that happens for budgeting reasons, or could take us to the future more often.
- Maybe she’s from the past. I could imagine a scientist from the time of Newton who doesn’t get credit because she’s a woman jumping into the TARDIS for a chance to see the future. Maybe she could even have a lab on board. Or a cowgirl. For some reason, that could be amusing. Or she could be a scientist from the future who got stuck in the past. Moving on…
- Something steampunk, perhaps? I’d love to see a girl from a timeline where steampunk was the way things went. She could have her own awesome gadgets and the costume possibilities would be endless.
- Starship captain? She’s used to running her own ship so she and the Doctor are often butting heads, especially when she’s not impressed by the TARDIS being bigger on the inside.
- Maybe she could be not in love with the Doctor.
- What if she IS a guy? Trapped in a woman’s body?
- She could be an android or some kind of AI. Or a hologram. (Ok, now I’m waxing Trekkie here.)
- Perhaps she’ll be a tomboy type character.
- She could be from a parallel universe. That’d fit with how she even meets the Doctor being a mystery.
- Since she can talk faster than the Doctor, can we have a technobabble battle? Please? I’d be amused to see him lose one.
Well, that’s all I’ve got right now as far as speculation goes. One more tidbit you could read anywhere on the Internet: we know exactly when the Ponds will bid us farewell. Apparently, we’ll get six episodes this year, and their last one will be #5. There will be Weeping Angels involved, and Moffat says, “Not everyone gets out alive, and I mean it this time.” Earlier this year, he also noted that it would be heartbreaking. Great..guess I’d better make sure to buy tissues.
What do you think of the choice for the Doctor’s newest companion? Got any crazy series seven theories? Do share. I’m getting antsy waiting for Doctor Who to start up again.